Monday, April 30, 2012

My Fitness Regimen

I am a huge fan of running.  Nothing is better than taking a long run on a beautiful and sunny day with a nice, cool breeze.  Not only do you get to enjoy the beautiful surroundings, breathe fresh air, clear your head, and get your daily vitamin D, you also get to burn calories and fat, strengthen and tone your muscles, release endorphins, and improve your cardiovascular health.  To me, running is the best type of exercise out there.

I started running in middle school after seeing my mom run around the neighborhood.  This ultimately led me to joining the high school track team.  While I was mainly a long and triple jumper, I still enjoyed running whenever I get the chance.  While in college, I became a little more of a running fanatic and would go on 45-60 minute runs as often as possible.  After being plagued by many bouts of knee pains and shin splints, I was referred to multiple physicians, physical therapists, and podiatrists.  I won't go into all of the details of my past medical history, but I will tell you some of the important key points I took away from all of this.  (I'll be doing a more detailed post on footwear and orthotics in the near future).
  • Proper workout gear is key!  This includes sunscreen, sunglasses and/or hats!
  • Not all sneakers are alike!
  • Custom orthotics can save you a lot of pain and protect your body from injuries, but they are not necessary for everyone. 
  • Stretching is an important part of your workout. Targeted stretching can also help with hip and knee problems.
  • Rehydrate!
Nowadays I've scaled back my running to only 3-4 times per week in order to preserve my knees.  I like to give myself at least a full day off in between runs when I can (which can be so hard when you have back-to-back sunny days in the Northeast).  Variation is also important, and I mix in some yoga or light weight-lifting on days between runs.  I've also tried out other modes of exercise to mix up my routine (including hip hop classes, circuit training, and barre classes), but more on that later!

This photo was taken in San Francisco, CA. It was so serene running/walking here. SF has the best running trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!